Remember that great movie City Slickers from the early '90s? Now, you have the chance to cast yourself as city slicker Mitch Robbins at the best horseback riding vacation in Colorado.
Cattle Round Up Week on The Home Ranch gives you western style horseback riding with a Relais & Chateaux twist. You'll spend the first few days of the week getting to know your horse and the basics of cattle behavior before heading across the valley to round up a couple hundred head of cattle. Each evening you will find a delicious meal, a hot tub and a comfortable bed waiting for you back at the ranch.
Doug Carlson of Sand Mountain Cattle Company has been cast as trail boss Curly. He and his family have been raising Red Angus cattle in the Elk River Valley for over 30 years. Their grass fed cattle are raised naturally and are featured on The Home Ranch menu weekly. His cattle are separated into two large herds that have spent the summer grazing in high mountain pastures and need to be driven into the valley before the first snow flies.
Ranch Operations Manager, Michael Moon, returned with his family to The Home Ranch and the Elk River Valley in 2015 after spending the last 20 years managing cattle operations in Montana, New Mexico and Colorado. He will be combining his passion for stockmanship and horses and sharing his knowledge with guests during this week.
The partnership between horse and rider will deepen as you venture off the beaten path and look for cattle in the aspen groves and fields of ferns as their green leaves fade to yellow and orange. The vistas and scenery of this week should be some of the best of the year, with peak fall colors abounding.
The Home Ranch Wranglers, guests and Clark community will come together to celebrate a successful week on Thursday.
Of course, if riding the range looking for cattle isn't what your looking for in a Colorado fall vacation, you can join our hiking guide for a hike through the golden aspen groves or try your luck with our fishing guide on the Elk River and even go for 100 mile bike ride with one of our biking guides, if you're up for the challenge.
Your All-Inclusive Vacation Consists Of:
- The highly-praised gourmet cuisine of Executive Chef Jonathon Gillespie at every meal
- Lodging in one of our 8 private cabins or 6 lodge rooms
- Experienced hiking guides to teach you about local flora and fauna
- Exceptional horseback riding vacations, equestrian lessons, and natural horsemanship clinics
- Guided Colorado fly fishing at our Orvis-endorsed fly fishing lodge
- Seasoned mountain bike guides and mountain bikes to get your heart rate up
- Great live music, roaring campfires, health, and happiness for your whole family
- Shuttle service to and from Hayden Airport (HDN) or Steamboat Springs Colorado
Please call Selina with any questions, 970-879-1780, or book your stay online.