Working Ranch Vacations
Learn how to be a Colorado Cowboy
North of Steamboat Springs - May 16 - May 21, 2017
Ever wonder what The Home Ranch does to get ready for the summer season? Working ranch vacations bring you inside the Home Ranch ranch as we get ready for our summer season. Help get the herd ready for a busy season, ride horses, fix fence, repair trails, plant seedlings and be part of an amazing team. Join The Home Ranch staff for five nights and experience life on the ranch.
We will have two very special guests and alumni on hand to help us with this week. Tim Assman was The Home Ranch Head Wrangler from 1990 - 1997 and Elana James was a Home Ranch Wrangler & Ranch Hand Band Fiddle Player from 1992 - 1995. Elana is now with Hot Club of Cowtown (Texas Swing Band from Austin, TX.) Elana will entertain us throughout the week along with Michael Moon.
To keep with the theme of the week, our staff will join the guests in the dining room for bunkhouse style meals. The rate will include meals, activities, entertainment, educational sessions and transfers to and from Steamboat Springs. The rate for the adventure will be $1,000 per person plus 3.9% tax and 15% ranch fee.
Guests will be able to help with getting the herd and new wranglers orientated and ready for the season. The experience may include:
- New wrangler orientation
- Work at the barn preparing the herd for the season
- Riding guest horses & exploring trails
- Fence fixing & replacement
- Trail clearing
- All day rides for trail orientation
Guests can also join Master Gardner Allison Mecklenburg for hands on workshops about spring planting, bed preparation and seed starting as well as harvest the first greens of the season. Adele Carlson, The Home Ranch's first Master Gardener, will return to the ranch to assist in Work Week. These experiences may include:
- Planting annual pots for around the ranch and Clark
- Planting the annual flower bed where guests eat lunch
- Planting the first peas of the season
- Harvesting the first greens planted in the greenhouse
- Mulching and planting perennial beds and pots
- Planting some aspen trees in the front lawn
We will offer a number of demonstrations and lectures throughout the week.